Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ashley Ann Gillum from Argentina....

Campana, Argentina update!!!
Sí todovía estamos sudando a full!!!! hahaha ITS SO DANG HOT!! Good thing Heavenly Father is nice enough to have sent us a huge rain and lightning storm yesterday so its cooled of the ground a little today but we are still cookin! haha. There has been so much progress with our new changes in our area and companionship. We knew that Satan was switching up his game plan so we knew that much fasting and more prayer were necessary for progress and IT WORKED! My companion and I care so much about these people here in Campana that we have organized everything and worked worked worked. We now have many progressing families and the work is rolling forth. Lucas, Ariel, Alejandra, Luis all have baptism fechas and many more to come for this week! We went to two big trainer meetings in San Fernando with all the Leaders and President Gulbrandsen and his assistants really brought the power of the spirit and pumped us up for the work as always. I also got my Visa info. Elder Peterson drove us to Capital Buenos, and it was HUUUGE! We saw a HUGE river that looked like an ocean, then we saw the HUGE city spread out with buildings as far as the eye could see, then we saw countless Villa´s or (slums) and that was incredibly sad!
Whats hardest for me is seeing all the garbage filled shacks with clothes lines that have pinned up baby clothes. Tiny shirts and pants hanging out to dry of children born into that.
Everything on the mission is humbling. I have felt a huge change in my heart being here.
we got off the freeway onto this huge street with 22 lanes! (the widest in the world) and we saw the huge buildings and millions of people I was amazed because my whole area is more out in the Campo area with fields and spread out villa´s but this was the biggest city ive ever been to in my life and gorgeous architecture and european influence. I have an awesome picture of capital on my laptop at home and it was so unreal being in the center of the picture in real life! It became so real to me that im living one of my dreams. We got all my paperwork situated for me to be an official ARGENTINE! whoooo! We also got letters and packages from the office and ofcourse the package had tons of JUNK FOOD haha STOP trying to make me gain weight on the mission people! haha just kidding I was so very thankful for the peanut butter and the real chocolate thank you so much Ro! and thanks for the letters in the mail that I got from all of you, Ben, Chloe, Jesse, Rory, Marlin, Mom, Geralann, Nick & Judy,Elders, Heidi Morris, Erica Page, You are all so awesome for your great support and encouragment! you all know that letters really help the mission work! We never have time to write letters out here in our area so bear with me I promise to acknowledge your efforts and respond as soon as possible. Its nice to be cheered on by all of you! My english skills are dying, my Castellana (Español) is improving by the days so bear with me in my horrible blog skills as I type you letters of updates and just know that im communicating better here and thats what matters. Mom, If you can, you should go to the St. George Temple and leave a message at the visitors center for this really nice man named Mark. He is in a wheel chair suffers from Alzheimers(spelling?) but I met him before my mission there and he goes there often. He has faithfully sent me one letter every single week about his life events and efforts of service that he puts forth everyday. He has a way with words because every single one has me in tears from his incredible courage and desire to serve people in the community. I have not had time to respond to him still so please let him know he is making a big difference in my mission and i appreciate his service of encouragment for me. He pushes me to want to be better. I have told everyone to not send me any packages but there have been a few that have come in the mail, and its been so humbling, because its never expected. I appreciate those of you who support the missionaries. This work is hard for every missionary and the letters mean a lot. I have a few Elders in my zone that hardly ever even get one letter every two months so ladies... I encourage you to get writing them and cheering them on as well, because they work really hard and I know it would make their day to get even one little note of encouragment. ALSO FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SEND PACKAGES TO ME OR ANYONE IN THE BUENOS AIRES NORTE MISION, YOU MUST ADDRESS THE NAME TO KAREN GULBRANDSEN and a side note saying: for Hermana Ashley Gillum because karen is (the mish. pres. wife) so that way we do not have to travel long distances to the post office in the city to sign for them. and just a little note of advice, putting pictures of Mary on the package HELPS! hahaha trust me! Mom, healthy food and vitamins pretty much dont exsist out here, and thats all im lacking.all american stuff is super pricey. one little clean and clear face scrub costs 70 pesos! its nuts! and theres no such thing as handy little perfumes or body sprays, its all wierd spray on deodorants. I should of stalked up more at wal-mart before I left. oh well, now I know. My shoes are all thrashed but no worries! I bought this awesome super glue stuff that will work just fine so im good! We get hastled every once in a while by men that call stuff out to us and Ive been proposed to more times than I can count now but for the most part I just feel a very powerful protection over us and we are gaining a great reputation in Campana because the people are seeing why we are here and the good that we are doing.
The work is going so well, the noche de hogar went good, we baked a cake for the members and had a little party to help them recieve revelation for more references for us we watched the first vision and asked inspired questions. We have recieved tons of references now! We are going to blow last weeks numbers out of the water and do all that we can in our power to help every person we meet. We have already seen the teary eyes of the families now that are realizing God´s hand in their progress and we are watching them transform their lives for the better in a world thats spinning out of control. They are finding the stability and safety that this Gospel brings and I really feels good to be a part of this change for them. I have always wanted to make a difference somehow, and as a missionary of the Lord I see that I am. All by keeping myself clean and worthy to be an instrument in His hands everyday. Im growing so close to these families that I cant imagine telling them goodbye without making sure they are holding tight to the Iron Rod so they and their families can live together forever. I have felt all of your prayers and trust me it makes a difference. But more than praying for me, pray for these people to prepare themselves for baptism so they can find the happiness that they are so deeply searching for.Thank you all for your selfless acts of kindness and support. I love you with all my heart. chao for now,
con amor, hermana ashley ann gillum

1 comment:

  1. hace un mes atras estuvimos por campana lindo el lugar pero solo estuvimos un dia nada mas

    ReplyDelete