Friday, September 30, 2011

He battling for our time

Hola Familía y amigos, todo bien? Estoy tan felíz por decirte que tuvimos éxito este semana aprendiendo el area y encontrando nuevos que estan preparada! Caminando a ful! The highlight for us was when Karen Marina Carrari recieved her answer that the Book Of Mormon is a true word of God and another testament of Jesus Christ. She said the feeling of peace and happiness overcame her and she couldnt stop smiling because she knew with all of her heart that it is. She was baptized this last Saturday at 2:30. And she was confirmed yesterday in Church with the gift of the Holy Ghost. We have become very close to her family (Flia. Carrari) and we care greatly for them. In fact we have become very close to everyone in the ward in this short time so far. Its a blessing to be here doing the work of the Lord with the people of Chacra.
FAMILY OF 8
Elder Bond which is the assistant to President at this time, traveled down here to help out the Zones of the South and the establishment and leadership. It was a blessing to have him here in Rio Grande because he helped us out a ton. He thought it would be best to have our whole zone go work in Chacra 13 (the area of E. Christiansen and E. Lemo) to find them new people to teach and tract to get the work going over there. It was a big success! My comp and I were in charge of area San Martin. Let me just put it this way... I thought OUR area was super ugly... then we got here and couldnt believe people live here! Each person we talked to asked us if we like how ugly it is here... so they even think its the ugliest place but they all come here for working in factories and we work here to bring them the Gospel. Despite the deserted black soil and wasteland as far as the eye can see, the people are beautiful! We contacted the list of old investigators. While we were doing that, we were walking down a dirt road and I saw a little black puppy on the porch. As we pet the puppy we heard a boy in the window, then saw the face of the mother. Covered in tattoos and piercings we have to say it was slightly intimidating and we couldnt tell how she felt about us petting the puppy so we just smiled and as if we could talk to them and share our message about JesusChrist... she walked away from the window with a mad look and I thought to myself... ok shes mad maybe we should go... and right then the door opened and she had a huge grin on her face and said, ofcourse, come on it right now and sit at the table. I was so amazed! These people almost never say, come on in right now! Turns out shes never heard of our church or anything and never seen missionaries. We taught her the restauration of the Gospel and why there are so many different churches and how our Father in Heaven doesnt want us to be confused about His plan and purposes. He wants us all to return to him with our family and there is a plan prepared for us to do so. She explained alot of abuse that shes gone through her whole life and how shes been on her own as a single mother because the father has left them long ago. A single mother of 8 KIDS! She said she knows God sent us to her! We were amazed... she said, "well I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet, because God loves us and wants us to be guided. So why would we only have prophets in Bible times and not now when the world is the worst?" We were like... "EXACTLY!" She promised to read the Book with all of her 8 children and we invited them all to be baptized together the weekend after conference! (2nd weekend of Oct.)
We were very excited to have had success in being led to them just as Elder Bond knew we could. My Companion asked him for any counsel that he might have for her in her mission and he said... just keep fighting the fight. Find the obstacle and go to the Lord to surpass it. Trust in Him with all your heart.
NATI
Here in our own area of Chacra 4 and 2... we found another miracle... Natalia... shes a very beautiful girl of 21 yrs and her father just happened to introduce us when we found him at his work. Turns out hes a less active and has been for many many years. Nati has been to church when she was very small and has always seen the book of mormon in her fathers house growing up but was never taught anything. Long story short we invited her to practice singing at the church with us for a baptism this weekend. She loves to sing so this was perfect. We ended up teaching her about the first vision and about our Prophet we have today. We asked her to read the Book of Mormon and we read with her. She desires to be baptized also on the 2nd week of October... She also has mentioned that she desires to serve a mission one day and wants to help people in the world. As we taught her she asked if she could tell us something... She said... " you know what, When you two showed up at my house, I was in my room stretching on the floor listen to my music really loud on my headphones... and I just started talking to God in my heart and asking him to respond. Then my dad came into my room and said, hey theres two mormon missionaries here and I want you to talk to them. So then I pulled my music out of my ears and right when I saw you I felt a change in my heart like I was waiting for you to show up. It was a feeling like it was already planned before and I just forgot. Then when you sang a hymn, I felt so happy. I knew with all my heart you were messengers of God. I have always seen the Elders walking around our town but have never felt the desire to talk to them, Ive never Sisters, and when I saw you I wanted to hear what you had to say. I feel like theres a connection with you guys like I have a work to do, and you were sent here to teach me how." I started to cry. I couldnt speak for a good amount of time after she spoke... I just told her thank you for sharing that because I could really feel the power of the spirit testify to me that WE were sent to Natalia because she needed US specifically! I felt my faith grow because I had pictured all the different things that led us up to finding her and in that exact moment! I testified that it was designed to happen even before this life and thats why she feels a connection. She told us that she feels a presence around her that is protecting her when we are teaching her and It really strengthens my faith in the spirit. We are preparing her for her goals. PRAY FOR HER!
VICENTA
When we were looking for some old investigators... we ended up needing help finding an address and the lady who answered the door happened to also be a miracle. Her name is Vacenta and she looks like shes from Miami. She is all bronzed and blonde hair and looks about in her late 50´s. I felt prompted to ask her... so how many are in your family? and she looked really sad at us and said... none... so I asked... well what about your kids? ... I have none... Well what about your mother?... I dont even have her anymore... Im alone and have been for a long time. So this was the key. This told us... that we got lost right there at that time to find this daughter of Heavenly Father that loves her and wants her to know it. We set an appointment to visit her at her own home and that appointment was very good. We entered her home that is filled with countless pictures of what appeared to be a daughter in her 20´s. She told us that she had died due to a gas leak in her apartment in Capital Buenos Aires four years ago and she was studying in school, only three months away from graduation. Her brother had died, and then a month later her Mother. She doesnt want to even talk about the father. We taught her the plan of salvation, we found an answer to each difficulty she had, in the Book of Mormon. We read Alma 40 and explained that her loved ones had gone home to see our Father in Heaven and rest from cares. Then we explained opposition in this life from 2 nephi. Then we spoke to her about how faith (Ether 12) gives us the power to endure til the end of this life and recieve eternal life with our family forever. She has a baptism date for the 2nd week of October too! Please pray for her to recieve her answer and keep preparing! We love her very much and we know the peace this will bring into her life and the comfort she can feel knowing these things.
CHURCH
We hope to fill every seat in church but I will have to admit the hardest thing by far for us my entire mission has been getting people to come to church on Sunday. Especially with the Argentine custom of "siesta" where they like to nap and drink matte from 12 to 4. All of our investigators struggle with getting up in the morning and its been tough because we can only do so much in the mornings to go around and pick them all up. When we take members to pick them up they dont answer because they are dead asleep til noon. We are going to do all we can to focus on getting them to church to General Conference this weekend. Our Branch President has said that he plans to help pick up some investigators for us and we are so grateful, he is such a great person to fill his calling. He is full of kindness and charity and always making sacrafices to serve. We feel blessed to be working with him and his family.
Well we have to get going... but I love you with all my heart and hope that you are all enjoying the last of your warm weather... I have yet to feel warm weather still, this is the longest winter weather ive ever experienced in my life! Soak up all that sun and keep being the great missionaries that you are with all the sacrafices, service and love you bring to those around you in your sphere! Thank you for your support on my mission! Thank you for your prayers, your love and everything that makes the world a better places with all your simple actions! You guys are the best! Hope to hear from you all next week! Send me pictures and let me know how things are going! LOVE YOUUU Besos!
Con Amor, Hermana Ashley Gillum
TIME IS PRECIOUS
Just something for you to ponder and apply this month...
We had an amazing Branch conference this past Sunday and I was amazed with all that we learned! There was alot of talk about the preparation for the end of the world and using our time wisely.
"whats more precious and valuable then money... our TIME... and although Satan desires to make us miserable, that is not brought to pass simply by tempting us to do something very wrong... but he also does this by stealing away our time, little by litte. He is battling for our time and attention."
This lesson really had me thinking pretty deep about things. In life we go to work, we go to school, we go home... we each have our own routine of things... almost all of us spend all of our time focused on ourselves and enjoying ourselves. How often are we going through our routine... bringing the most important "good news" there is to others? How dedicated are we to inviting others to church to feel this peace and truth, how often are we holding back all this richness that we hold for ourselves? Skyler sent me this quote about being a Disciple of Christ and what it really means. What kind of faith it takes for us to be a true disciple. I have had in the back of my scriptures my whole mission... but now it has more power and I hope that you can benefit from it.
I’m a part of the fellowship of
the unashamed:

The dye has been cast. I have stepped over the line.
The decision has been made. I’m a disciple of Jesus Christ.
I won’t look back, let up, slow down, or be still.

My past is redeemed. I will do His will.
My present makes sense. My future is secure.
I’m finished and done with low living, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions,
worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions,
plaudits, or popularity. I don’t have to be right,
first, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded.
I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience,
am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power.

My face is set. My gait is fast. My goal is Heaven.
My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few,
my guide is reliable but my mission is clear.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away,
divided or delayed.

I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,
hesitate in the presence of the adversary,
negotiate at the table of the enemy,
ponder at the pool of popularity,
or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

I won’t give up, shut up, or let up
until I have stayed up, stored up,
and paid for the cause of Christ.

I must go until He comes,
give till I drop, preach till all know,
and work until He stops me.
And when He returns,
He will have no problem recognizing me.
My banner will be clear.

I am a disciple of Jesus Christ
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment