Thursday, February 24, 2011

Refiners Fire

I remember a story one of my comps gave me in the mtc and it was about the refiners fire. A lady in a bible study class was asked to find out what a silversmith had in common with our Heavenly father. She went to watch the silversmith while he worked and she found that he held the silver in the very hottest part of the flames as he twirled it around, holding it up and watched it very closely as it changed and formed. She considered that to be Heavenly Father when we face dark and lonely hardships. We feel like we at times are in the hottest part in the moment, and He is watching us very closely the whole time. She then asked after a while, "when do you know that its done and its ready?" The silversmith said.. "Oh thats easy, their done when I see myself in them." 
As my mission President has stated.. we are not perfect. The mission and all spiritual experiences act as casts. Healing our fractures and scraps that need to be fixed His way. Im also reminded of my teacher in the mtc that said we are going to be on the front lines of battle between good and evil. Its true. I have felt the affects raging about me. This week I realized things I never thought I would before. I was tested so much. I was brought to my knees again and again and again. Wondering how I would press forward I was blessed to have been present in our last district meeting while the elders bore their testimonies with tears and sincerity. I felt their charity for the Lord, this work, these people, and specifically I felt their charity for me. I also came to understand who im really here on this mission for. Its not for my fellow missionaries or my loved ones back home, or president, or my friends. Im here because the Lord called me to this work. He believes in me and has what it takes to build my faith. He is the one that calms the storm or calms His child. I remember in the simple things how easy it is to just be completely happy. Every day its a choice. My comp and I had a long fast for help and success. Still we struggled. still we were tried. I was anxious for a break or a miracle and with much patience.. one came. Sunday we expected Loraina and her three beautiful daughters to show up for church. Right as we were entering the doors... she came. It was our first investigator at church in like 2 or 3 weeks! I was so shocked! I wanted to cry. Her precious daughters ran up with big smiles and said okay, we came! were ready! I couldnt believe it. We exhausted ourselves trying to keep those little kids perfectly content and we loved every minute of it. We bought them coloring books to keep them busy and we played on the lawn in the back afterwards. I LOVE kids! LOVE LOVE LOVE kids! Watching them all play duck duck goose outside as I would run and chase them and they would scream and laugh their little hearts out, and the smile on my face was so big. I had to just look up at the clouds and thank Heavenly Father for this. My comp and I moved and rearranged and spring cleaned our entire appartment! it looks like new... well... sort of.. but its a great way to start fresh. We are making sure to show our love to our Savior by strict and perfect obedience to all He expects of us. The medina family  (our family pretty much) had us over and they bought us these adorable little hippie purses! I love them so much. They are so giving and so special to us. We are going to do all we can to help them with whatever they need. Our leaders have been super nice to us now and they always make sure to let us know they care. They all wanted to play futbol but we wanted to workout longer so we will play next time.Hna Romo and I promised to make it a goal to make eachother laugh all day and keep our energy up and that too has made our burdens so much lighter. She will just break out into a Disney song or something and make me start singing along or laughing. Or we tell eachother our good old childhood memories and swap ridiculous ideas we have had that failed miserably haha I love laughing. Its SO good for you. Today we found a gym place with weights and futbol and boxing stuff. It was such a good time. my advice for this week... umm.... make sure to LAUGH and do all you can to laugh alot and smile... just smile even when you dont have a reason to. Theres always something funny to think about or something to cheer you or someone else up. Life is good.
 
con amor, ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment